qbism Super8 is a gritty software-rendering 3D engine on a GPL Quake source code chassis. Experience meta-nostalgic 8-bit graphics with unexpected modern features, like support for epic Big Maps. The project started as a fork of Makaqu 1.3 and later added enhancements from many other sources… plus a few unique features of it’s own.
Download the latest Super8: https://github.com/qbism/super8/releases
Unzip into your quake folder.
Older versions at https://qbism.com/groups/super8/forum/topic/old-super8-builds/
- Plays most modern Quake “Big Maps” that require enhanced engine limits and extensions.
- Physics and movement fixes for a smoother experience.
- Colored lighting using standard “.lit” files. The color is processed in a unique way to maximize speed.
- Cool effects like scorch marks, transparent water and particles, and skymaps.
- High-resolution, automatically detects available modes.
- Modernized to play nice with weird laptop screen resolutions and Windows XP/ Vista/ 7.
- Record demos directly to xvid, mp4, divx, or other avi-compatible formats.
- Handy console helpers like tab-completion of map names and commands.
- Fisheye mode!
- Engine code is highly portable… ported to Flash, DOS, and runs in Linux under Wine.
- Built-in HD video recording suitable for Youtube upload: